Getting high CPU usage problem in Windows is one error that Windows users try to avoid. One of the reasons that causes this is the WMI Provider Host of the file system. It can slow down the computer which annoys many Windows users. Therefore, it can be fixed in some ways. In this page, we will discuss the 3 methods to fix “WMI Provider Host High CPU Usage” in Windows.
Introductions: WMI Provider Host
WMI Provider Host (WmiPrvSE.exe) or Windows Management Instrumentation Provider Service is an important service used by the Developers for Monitoring Purposes. Windows applications cannot run properly without it. So, when an application doesn’t work properly, it could be that the WMI Provider Host gets an error. Sadly, there is no notifications shows when this error appears.
The symptom when you have this kind of error is that your computer freezes and sometimes lag due to the high CPU usage. It usually consumes more than 50% of the CPU power. Further errors that will show up are blue screen, black screen, and slow down PC. Fortunately, we have some methods that can help you to fix this WMI Provider Host error in your computer.
How to Fix “WMI Provider Host High CPU Usage” in Windows [3 Methods]
In this section, we will tell you how to fix “WMI Provider Host High CPU Usage” in Windows in three ways. The steps-wise guides are pretty easy to follow. Therefore, you should read and follow them carefully to avoid further error. No special skills nor requirements needed to do the instructions below.
Method 1 – Use Antivirus
It’s no doubt that virus or malware likes to create disguised folders system that look a like the original ones. Windows 32 or System 32 folder is one kind that virus like to copy. In this folder, WmiPrvSE.exe file or Windows Management Instrumentation Provider Service process is saved. When virus or malware do something bad to this file, you will likely experience errors in Windows OS, such as high CPU usage. In order to resolve this issue, you can do the following steps:
1. Download and install a trusted antivirus app, such as Norton, Avast, McAfee, Bit Defender, etc.
2. Launch the antivirus software and select Full Scan to scan the computer thoroughly.
3. Restart PC.
4. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to access Task Manager. Check if MWI Provider Host is working normally again.
As you have cleaned your computer from virus or malware, you will not have the same problem again.
Method 2 – Restart Service
Restarting the service can be a simple yet powerful way to resolve the high CPU usage caused by WMI Provider Host. Follow the instructions to do so:
1. Firstly, access Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R keys together. Write services.msc in it and press Enter.
2. Secondly, find Windows Management Instrumentation service. Right click on it and hit Restart.
3. Then, press Windows + X keys simultaneously to open Power User menu. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
Note: For Windows 10 Creators Update users: type cmd.exe in the search bar and right click Command Prompt. Choose Run as administrator.
4. Next, write the following commands in the Command Prompt window and press Enter key after each command:
Firstly, net stop iphlpsvc
Secondly, net stop wscsvc
Thirdly, net stop Winmgmt
Fourthly, net start Winmgmt
Fifthly, net start wscsvc
Finally, net start iphlpsvc
5. Restart PC.
6. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to open Task Manager and check if WMI Provider Host is working properly.
Your computer is now back for business.
Method 3 – Use Troubleshoot in Safe Mode with Networking
If none of the methods above is working, you can use troubleshoot in Safe Mode with Networking. Do the following method.
1. Hit Windows + R keys together to access Run dialog box. Write msconfig in it and press Enter.
2. Then, go to Boot tab, tick the box for Safe boot, and then choose Network option.
3. Press Apply and OK.
4. After that, click Restart to go to Safe Mode.
5. Now, you are in the Safe Mode. Hit Windows + X keys together and choose Windows PowerShell (Admin).
6. Write the following command in the PowerShell window and press Enter:
msdt.exe -id MaintenanceDiagnostic
7. You will see a System Maintenance Troubleshooting window appears. Hit Next to go to the next step. Follow the instructions on the screen.
8. Now, go back to PowerShell window and type the following command. Press Enter afterwards:
msdt.exe /id PerformanceDiagnostic
9. The Performance Troubleshooting window will appear. Then, press Next. Follow the instructions on the screen now.
10. Boot into the Normal Mode when the process is complete. Do step 1 and 2. Un-tick the box for Safe boot. Press Apply and OK.
11. Restart PC to boot into Normal Mode.
You have successfully fix WMI Provider Host service error that causes high CPU usage issue.
Congratulations! You have solved the high CPU usage issue in your computer that is caused by WMI Provider Host. Those three methods were pretty easy to follow that you can do it by yourself. We hope the issue won’t show up again in the future. Please contact the technical support if you encounter similar problem after applying the methods above. For questions and suggestions, please write them in the Comment section. Thank you for reading win10repair.