Scanner not working Windows 10 – Upgrading to the most updated OS like Windows 10 is a good thing that you must do. The new Operating System gives you better experience. It also brings better feature and performances. However, when you want to upgrade your Windows version, you should consider your other hardware like Printer, Scanner, etc. Check for the compatibility of the hardware with the new OS. If you just upgrade your Windows without checking the compatibility of your hardware, you might get an issue. Here, we are going to discuss Scanner issue that arises because of the compatibility issue. Keep reading to find the 3 solutions to fix Scanner not working in Windows 10.
Issue: Scanner not working Windows 10
We know how useful Printers and Scanners are for a student or an office professional. They help us to make our work easier. Scanner and Printer can work properly with our Windows computer. However, we’ve got a report that a problem showed up after they upgraded to Windows 10. The scanner and printer stop working. There is a compatibility issue between the scanner and Windows OS. Many know this as Scanner not working issue.
Generally, Scanner not working issue is a common error in Windows. To fix this, you can simply reconnect the scanner or try different port. Restarting your computer is also another way to fix Scanner not working error. Do these two tricks to solve the problem you have with the Scanner or Printer. If the tricks fail, you can follow the methods below to get rid of the issue.
The reason behind Scanner not working issue in Windows is the incompatibility between the OS and drivers installed. This creates a conflict in the system which causes the Windows cannot recognize the scanner. Then, the scanner cannot work properly. Other reasons that cause the issue are missing or corrupted system files, virus, or scanner malfunction. Now, let’s jump to the solutions to fix scanner not working error.
How to Fix Scanner Not Working in Windows 10
There are Top 3 Solutions available to fix the Scanner not working issue in a very simple manner. These methods are tested, tried and compiled by a team of experts. All of them are safe and working. You just have to use these to get rid of the problem. The Step-wise Tutorials are also present with each method. Simply follow the steps and you’ll be able to resolve the issue. Let’s proceed to the Solutions.
Method 1 – Scan Disk
The first method that you can try to fix scanner not working issue in Windows 10 is scanning the disk using Command Prompt. Do as follows:
1. Press Windows + X keys simultaneously to run Power user menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
2. In the Command Prompt screen, write sfc /scannow and press Enter key.
3. Wait patiently until the process is completed. Reboot your PC.
Connect your Scanner and check if it has solved your problem.
Method 2 – Update Drivers
Outdated or corrupted drivers can be the culprit why your Scanner stops working in Windows 10. In order to fix Scanner not working issue, you can simply update your drivers. To update the drivers automatically, you can use a third-party software. This way is a lot easier than updating the drivers manually.
If you prefer the manual way to update the drivers in your PC, you can follow the instructions below:
1. Right click on My Computer and choose Manage > Device Manager.
2. In the Device Manager, locate the device marked with a yellow triangle. It means that it has driver problem.
3. Right click on it and choose Update Driver Software option.
4. The system will find the driver through the internet. Install the update that the system found.
Done. You have updated your drivers in your computer. Your scanner should be able to work fine now.
If none of the methods above works, you should check the services that relate to the scanner. The scanner needs support from other services in order to work properly. They are:
- Remote Procedure Call RPC
- DCOM Server Process Launcher
- RPC Endpoint Mapper
- Shell Hardware Detection
- Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
The scanner will stop working if one of the services above stop. So, you should do the following instructions to fix the error on the scanner.
1. Hit Windows + R key together to trigger Run dialog box. Write services.msc in it and press Enter.
2. Then, find Shell Hardware Detection service from the list of services. Right-click on it and press Properties.
3. Press the Start button if you see that the Service status is Stopped. Hit Apply and OK to save the changes.
4. Return to the Services window again. Repeat Step-2 and Step-3 for other services as well.
5. Reboot your PC.
This will solve the Scanner not working error in Windows 10. You can now use your scanner normally.
It is common to have Scanner not working issue in your computer. You can refer to the 3 solutions above the fix scanner not working error easily. Visit the official Microsoft thread if the error persists. Don’t hesitate to drop questions or suggestions in the Comment sections below if any. Thank you for reading win10repair, Folks!