Windows Update Cannot Currently Check for Updates issue appears on Windows during the update. This is quite troublesome because Windows updates are quite essential to increase the performance and patch the bugs on the system. However, you should stay calm. We have several ways to fix this issue on this post.
The main reason why you experience this error is the Windows Update service is not running or the Windows temporary update folder is corrupted. Therefore, check on the 3 methods below on how to solve this error.
3 Easy Ways to Fix Windows Update Cannot Currently Check for Updates
Fix 1: Perform Windows Update Troubleshooter
When you face Windows update cannot currently check for updates, the first thing you can do to fix this issue is run Windows update troubleshooter. This is the first thing you can do effortlessly. Follow the instructions below:
- Get the Windows Update Troubleshooter from the official website and install it on your Windows PC.
- Open Troubleshooting by typing troubleshoot in the search box of Windows.
- Select Fix problems with Windows Update under the System and Security section.
- Press on the Next button to continue. The Windows Update Troubleshooter will run to detect the problem.
- Windows Update Troubleshooter will fix the problems automatically if it finds any. Just be patient as it will take some time.
Once everything is finished, reboot your PC and see if the Windows update cannot currently check for updates error has solved.
Fix 2: Clear the Windows Update History
If the first method is not succeeded, you should worry not. There is another method you can do to fix the issue Windows Update cannot check for updates. You can clear the Windows update history and restart the Windows update service. Read on the detailed instructions below to do so:
- Hit Windows + R keys together to open Run box and type services.msc in the box. Press OK.
- Locate the Windows Update service in the popup window. Right click on it and choose Stop from the context menu and the service will stop.
- Then, let’s clear the Windows Update history. Press Windows and E keys together to open Windows Explorer.
- Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and locate the SoftwareDistribution folder.
- Delete all files in the SoftwareDistribution folder.
- A warning message will appear. Press Yes button to continue.
- When all files have been deleted, repeat the Steps 1 and 2 to go to the Windows Update service and choose Start to run the service.
After all steps are completed, reboot PC to see if the Windows update issue has been solved.
Fix 3: Reset Windows Update Repository
Here is the last method to solve Windows Update cannot currently check for updates. You can reset the Windows update repository.
- Run the Command Prompt as administrator.
- Insert the following commands in the command prompt window and press Enter after each command.
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- Open Windows Explorer and go to the %WINDIR%.
- Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old.
- Go back to the Command Prompt and insert these commands.
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- Reboot your computer
Hopefully the methods above can help you get rid of the issue Windows Update Cannot Currently Check for Updates on Windows PC. We understand how annoying it is. Therefore, you should fix is as soon as possible.
If you have any questions or found other methods to solve this issue, don’t hesitate to contact us. Thank you for reading, Folks!