As a Windows user, it is annoying to have error while playing games. One of the reasons why you cannot play the game is there is an error with Steam.exe. Hence, in this post, we are going to discuss 4 best ways to fix Steam not opening in Windows. This issue should be repaired as soon as possible so that it doesn’t cause other conflicts in Windows.
Why Steam not opening in Windows 10
We’ve got many reported about Steam not opening or cannot launch in Windows 10. This issue appears after they update their PC to Windows 10. They said whenever they tried to run Steam.exe in Admin mode, it connected to the server and Updating Steam window appears on their screen. The process was done properly, there were verifying package and updating window. Then, a Steam icon showed up for a second before it crashed and disappeared. No notification appeared afterwards.
It’s surely confusing because after it happens, Steam won’t run whenever they try to launch it. There is no clear explanation about this Steam not opening issue in Windows. It could be due to missing or corrupted drivers or other reason. To fix Steam not opening in Windows, you can follow the steps-wise guides in the section below.
4 Best Ways to Fix Steam Not Opening in Windows
There are 4 best ways to fix Steam not opening issue in Windows that we are going to discuss in this section. You can try any methods that is easier for you in the first place and move to other methods. Just follow the instructions below carefully.
Method 1. Update Windows
The first method you can try to Fix Steam Won’t Open Error in Windows is to update the Windows OS itself. Microsoft provides Windows update in a regular basis to patch the bugs that exist in Windows OS. Follow the instructions below:
1. Click Start menu and type update in the Search bar. Select Check for updates from the list of results.
2. Press Check for updates button in the Windows Update screen.
3. Download and install any available updates. Then, restart you computer.
This will fix Steam not opening issue in Windows 10, 8, or 7. You can refer to the next method if the problem persists.
Method 2. Update Graphics Driver
In the second method, we will try to update the graphics drivers because the outdated or corrupted drivers could be the reason why you have Steam error in Windows. Follow the instructions to do so:
1. Go to Start menu and type Device Manager in the Search bar. Choose it from the list of results.
2. Then, in the Device Manager window, expand the Display adapters category. Right-click on your graphics card and press Update Driver.
3. Choose Search automatically for update driver software. Windows system will search for the available updates and install them.
4. When the drivers have been updated, hit Control + Alt + Delete simultaneously to run Task Manager.
5. Press More Details in the Task Manager screen. Switch to Details and choose Steam.exe process. Hit End Task.
6. Launch Steam again.
Note: You can also use third-party software to update drivers in Windows automatically. Read this page to see the best driver updater software.
Now, the Steam will work normally.
Method 3. Clear AppCache
There might be something wrong with the AppCache which somehow causes conflict to Steam in Windows. To find out if AppCache is the culprit, you can clear it and relaunch Steam in Windows. Follow the steps below to do so:
1. Press Windows + R key together to trigger Run dialog box. Type C:Program Files (x86)Steam in it and press Enter.
2. Find a folder named appcache. Copy this folder on your desktop and delete it.
3. Launch Steam using the launcher now. Select Run as administrator.
Note: C:Program Files (x86)Steam is the default location for Steam in Windows PC. If you have installed Steam in other folder, you can browse and refer to it.
Check the Steam to see if the error has fixed.
Method 4. Run Steam in Compatibility Mode
This is the ultimate method that you can try if none of the methods above work. Running Steam in Compatibility Mode will resolve Steam not opening issue in Windows.
1. Open Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R key together. Write C:Program Files (x86)Steam in it and hit Enter.
2. Find a folder named SteamApps and open it.
3. Locate a folder named Common. There is a list of number of games installed on your PC in this folder.
4. Choose the game you want to play and right click on it. Select Properties.
5. Go to Compatibility tab and give a mark in the box which says Run this game in compatibility mode for.
6. Select Windows 8 in the drop down menu. Press Apply and save the changes.
7. Launch Steam now.
Now you should be able to play any games you want in your computer.
It is a common issue to see Steam not opening in Windows and you will not be able to play your favorite games when this error happens. You should fix this issue as soon as possible by following the 4 best ways to fix Steam not opening error in Windows. We hope it helps you. If you have any questions or suggestions related to this issue, please drop them in the Comments section below. Thank you for reading win10repair, Folks!