Having not enough space for Windows 10 update? Windows releases updates regularly in order to patch the bugs that usually exist on the previous version. It also brings new features that are useful for the users. Hence, all Windows users are encouraged to download and install Windows 10 updates.
However, there is a problem when the users are trying to download it; there is a pop-up saying that Windows needs more space. Fortunately, we have 4 methods you can try to fix not enough space for Windows 10 update. Check them below.
4 Top Ways to Fix Not Enough Space for Windows 10 Update
Solution 1. Delete Useless Files and Apps
Delete the programs and files that you no longer need is the first thing you can do to get more space on your HDD. To uninstall the apps, go to Control Panel and right click on the apps and select Uninstall.
ALSO CHECK: 5 Best Methods to Fix Windows Update Stuck Error
Solution 2. Clear Drive C to Free up Space
To free up some disk space to fix Windows update not enough disk space, you can choose to delete some temporary file, the files in Recycle Bin, temporary internet files, and download program files.
1. In Windows 7 and Windows 10:
- Click Start button.
- Type Disk Cleanup in the Search box and run this program as administrator.
- Choose drive C to clean, check files to delete, and click “OK“.
2. In Windows 8.1:
- Go to Control Panel.
- Next, System and Security, and select “Free up disk space“.
- Then, choose C drive to clean up.
- Select files you want to delete, and click “OK“.
Solution 3. Windows 10 Update Using External Drive
You can use an external drive, like USB flash disk, USB hard disk, and SD card, if you cannot free up enough space on drive C to upgrade to Windows 10, install Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Creators Update or other updates. Check on the instructions below.
- Connect the external drive.
- Select on “Choose another drive or attach an external drive” with recommended capacity available or “I want to use external storage instead” when not enough space for Windows 10 update issue appears.
- Choose the partition of the external drive.
- Click the Continue button to finish installing the update.
Solution 4. Add More Space to Drive C
Adding more space to Drive C can be another solution to fix not enough space for Windows 10 update, Creator Update, and else. How to do it? Basically, you just adjust the space of Drive D or E and add the remaining to Drive C.
To do this, you will need a partition manager app. MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition could help you complete this operation in very simple steps.
As a free partition manager, it can help you extend a partition (especially C drive), rebuild MBR, align partitions on SSD, and do lots of other partition operations under Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10.
- Download MiniTool Partition Wizard app from here. Install it on PC.
- Open MiniTool Partition Wizard app.
- Select Drive C and choose Extend Partition from the left pane.
- Choose the drive that you want to take the space from.
- Click OK.
- Drive C will enlarge, click on Apply to execute.
- Restart PC to see the effect.
That’s all! Now, you have more space on Drive C. It is possible for you to download and install the Windows 10 Anniversary update, Creator update or other updates. Hopefully you will not see not enough space for Windows 10 update again in the future.
Since you are experiencing this problem, you might start to consider install a new HDD or SDD with bigger capacity.
For queries and suggestions, feel free to ask us. Thank you for reading, Folks!