It is important to keep your Windows update run automatically. Updates are essential as it brings a lot of improvement to the system. It will also improve the security of the Windows system. Thus, you have to make sure that your computer is updates regularly. Yet, some error can happen due to updating progress. One error that we are going to discuss in here is Windows update stuck error. This issue has been reported by many Windows users. They get Windows Update stuck error when they are updating the Windows. If you are one of the victims of this issue, we suggest you to follow the best five methods to fix Windows Update Stuck error.
What cause Windows Update Stuck Error
Windows provides updates regularly to patch the bugs that appear in that version. The updates can also be used to improve the performance of Windows Operating System. It is usually working silently in the background. Windows users will get a notification whenever the system has performed the updates. We do recommend you to keep the updates turned on regarding the importance of the updates. Once you set it off, your system will be vulnerable to attack.
Read also: Windows Update Not Working Error [SOLVED]
However, Windows users report unusual behavior when they are performing the updates. They get stuck error which make the computer freeze and they have to do soft reset to restart the Windows. The error is getting more annoying since it is usually stuck at 99%, just 1% more before it is completed.
The reasons why Windows Update stuck error could happen can be different from one to another. It can be because the missing or corrupted Registry files, conflict with third party software, corrupt updates, virus or malware, or poor internet connection. To solve the problem, we suggest you to follow the methods that we are going to discuss in the next section.
How to Fix Windows Update Stuck Error
There are several methods that you can try to fix Windows update stuck error. The methods has been tested and proved to be working effectively. After you have done the method, we believe you can get rid of the update stuck problem in Windows. Then, you can try to update Windows without any problem.
Method 1 – Use Troubleshooter
Note: This method can be applied on Windows 7 and 8 too.
- Go to Control Panel and find the Troubleshooter.
- Choose Fix Problem with Windows Update from the list.
Method 2 – Use System Restore
Note: To use the System Restore, you should make sure that you have ever created a Restore Point previously. If you have never made a Restore Point, then this method won’t work for you.
- Go to Control Panel > System.
- Then, select System Protection > System Restore.
- Restore the system to the date when your computer was working normally.
This feature will not touch your personal data or programs.
Method 3 – Inspect Windows Update Utility
- Go to Start Menu > Settings.
- Then, select Update & Security.
- The system will ask you to try to update the Windows once again.
- Go to Advanced options > View your update history.
- Download the updates that you need.
Method 4 – Use Safe Mode
- Restart your computer and boot into the Safe mode. Check on this page for more information.
- In the Safe mode, running the update once again.
Read also: How to Fix Windows Installation Failed Error
Method 5 – Clear Windows Update Cache
1. Use Command Prompt
- Boot into Safe Mode like method 4.
- Click on the Start menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type net stop wuauserv in the Command Prompt window.
- Press Enter key.
- Type net stop bits and press Enter key.
Let the progress to complete and you can start to install the updates again.
2. Use File Explorer
- Open File Explorer
- Go to C: Windows SoftwareDistribution. Then, delete all files in this folder.
- Then, right click on the Start menu and open Command Prompt.
- Type net start wuauserv and press Enter.
- Next, type net start bits and press Enter again.
- Windows will download the updates once again.
Getting stuck error while performing Windows update is quite annoying and stressful. Those methods that we just talked about will be the good solutions to fix the Windows update stuck error. We hope it helps you with the problem. If you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to write them in the Comments section below. Thank you for reading win10repair.