There are cases where you want to connect the external hard drive, it shows that the external hard drive not showing up or recognized. This is quite a serious problem because it can lead to data loss. We have several ways you can do to fix external HDD not showing up or recognized on your computer.
Many people are wondering what cause this error. There are several reasons how this error can happen:
- Partition issue
- Outdated drivers
- Malfunction USB ports
- Insufficient power supply
- Failure Operating System
Now, let’s check on the methods on how to fix this external HDD issue.
5 Easy Ways to Fix External Hard Drive Not Showing Up Or Recognized
Method 1. Update Drivers
You should go to the Device Manager in order to update the drivers.
- Hit Start + X keys on the keyboard.
- Select Device Manager.
- Expand Disk drives option.
- Right click on the device you want to update.
- Choose Update driver to get the latest drivers.
Method 2. Run Troubleshooter
- Run Settings.
- Choose Update and Security from Windows Settings panel.
- Go to the Troubleshoot tab.
- Scroll down to choose Hardware and Devices from the right pane.
- Hit the Run the Troubleshooter button.
- Wait for the detecting to complete.
- Once the scan is completed, Windows will list the found issues.
- Select the issue you want to fix and click Next.
Method 3. Enable Legacy USB Support
It could be that the hard disk not detected in BIOS. The disabled Legacy USB Support is the reason why it happens.
How to enable USB support:
- Restart your PC.
- Enter the BIOS utility (each computer has different keys to press).
- Go to Advanced tab.
- Select USB Configuration.
- Choose Legacy USB Support and set it to be Enabled.
- Exit and save changes.
Method 4. Repair the System Built-in Drivers
- Boot into Safe Mode. Check on this post for the tutorial.
- Open the Command Prompt by pressing the Windows key + R and type cmd in the Run box.
- Type sfc/scannow and hit Enter key.
- Insert the original disc to start repairing the system.
Method 5. Run Antivirus Program
It is possible that a virus has infected your computer and it hides the external hard drive on your computer. Therefore, you can try to run antivirus program on your computer. Do a complete scan on your computer. It will take a long time, though.
Hopefully the methods above can help you fix external hard drive not showing up or recognized in your computer. If you happen to have different methods that are not listed on this post, you can share it in the comment box in order to help others.
Feel free to contact us whenever you have questions. Have a day, Folks!