Fix Failure Configuring Windows Updates – Windows provides a regular update to patch the bugs and increase the performance. The update is also used to improve the security of the system. In the default settings, Windows will download and install the updates automatically. Unfortunately, not all computers can apply the updates of Windows smoothly. Some of them may get stuck while installing the update. When it happens, they will have an error message, like “Failure configuring Windows updates, Reverting changes, Do not turn off your computer.” If you have this error message during the updating Windows progress, you can follow the methods in this article to fix Failure configuring Windows updates.
What cause Failure configuring Windows updates Error
Basically, failure configuring Windows update error will happen because the system fails to apply updates. It can happen in all version of Windows, including the newest version, Windows 10.When this error appears, you will get a message saying “Failure configuring Windows updates, Reverting changes, Do not turn off your computer” on a blue screen. You cannot do anything when this problem happens. The PC will stay freeze for a while. But don’t worry. We have the solution to fix Failure Configuring Windows updates issue on Windows.
The methods that we are going to provide are easy to follow. These methods will solve the failure configuring Windows update error permanently. The methods are as follows:
How to Fix Failure Configuring Windows Updates Error in Windows
There are four methods that we can try to repair the Failure configuring Windows updates error. Each method should be able to solve the error on Windows permanently, but if it doesn’t work, you can go to other methods in this article.
Method 1 – Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows has been equipped with a powerful tool, Windows Update Troubleshooter, to fix the common issues. You can use this tool to try to fix Failure configuring Windows updates error too. How to use this tool? Check the steps below:
1. Download the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool from the official website of Microsoft.
2. Launch the Windows Update Troubleshooter app and hit Next to run the troubleshooter.
The process to identify the error and repair it may take for a while, sometimes it can be a few hours. You can leave your PC on and come back when it has finished.
Method 2 – System Restore
Note: You have to enable the System Restore feature since the start to be able to use this. If you haven’t created the system restore point, you can skip this method.
One of the methods you can proceed to fix the Failure configuring Windows updates error in Windows is using the system restore. You can restore the system to the date where this issue hasn’t attacked your PC. It’s like a time machine where you can go back to a few days earlier.
1. Right click My Computer / This PC icon on desktop. Hit Properties.
2. Go to System protection option.
3. Press System Restore…
4. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Wait patiently until the process finishes.
Method 3 – Clear Windows Update Cache
The culprit of Failure configuring Windows updates error message that you get in Windows is probably from the corrupted update files. You can clear the cache of the Windows Update to solve this problem.
1. Hit Windows + R to access the Run dialog box.
2. Type services.msc and press Enter.
3. Locate and double click Windows Update from the list of services.
4. Press Stop to stop the service. Hit OK.
5. In the list of services, locate and double click Background Intelligent Transfer Service and then stop it.
6. Minimize the Service window.
7. Hit Windows + E key to launch Windows File Explorer. Go to C:WindowsSoftwareDistributionDownload and delete all files inside of the folder.
8. Back to the Service window, double click on both Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer Service and hit Start to restart them.
9. Restart PC.
See if the error persists or not. If it still persists, then let’s go to the last method to fix Failure configuring Windows updates reverting changes problem.
Method 4 – Install Updates in Clean Boot State Mode
This is the last method that we can offer to solve Failure configuring Windows updates Reverting changes issue on Windows. In this method, we need to be in the clean boot state to install the updates. The clean boot state mode means that it is the basic services of Windows that run. Let’s do it:
1. Log on the computer as the administrator.
2. Hit Windows + R key to access Run dialog box.
3. Type msconfig and press Enter.
4. Choose Selective startup and un-check Load startup items.
5. Go to the Service tab. Check mark the Hide all Microsoft services box and hit Disable all.
6. Press OK to save the settings. Restart your PC.
7. Congrats, your PC is in a clean boot state mode. Update your Windows now.
Read also: Windows Update Not Working Error [SOLVED]
There should be no problem found when you update Windows in this state or mode. Restart your PC in the normal mode once it has finished updating. Choose Normal startup in the General tab and enable all services listed on the Service tab to go back to the normal mode.
We hope one of the four methods above could solve the Failure configuring Windows updates error in Windows. Write down in the Comment box if you have any questions. Thank you for reading!