Fix Folder Access Denied Error Windows 10 – For Windows users, “Folder Access Denied” error is an issue that commonly happens in Windows. Even in Windows 10, you will still experience this error while copying, moving, deleting or modifying a file or a folder. We know that it is annoying to have such error while performing a copying or moving task. Hence, in this article, we will discuss the ways to fix Folder Access Denied error in Windows 10.
How Folder Access Denied Error Occur
Folder Access Denied error occurs because the system limits the user from changing or manipulating the data, such as moving, copying, or deleting files. In some cases, it happens even though you have become the administrator of the computer system.
There are several reasons why this issue happens in the Windows Operation System (OS). In fact, it happens in all versions of Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, and XP.
- You are not an owner or ownership may have changed.
- Unprivileged access to files and folders.
- The user doesn’t have apt permissions.
- The user profile is corrupt.
- Corrupt/infected file.
- Data encryption.
- Folder/drive in use.
Now you know the reason why folder access denied issue occurs in Windows 10. Thus, let’s jump to the solution to fix folder access denied error in Windows 10. Read the following guide carefully so that you can solve this problem in Windows 10.
How to Fix Folder Access Denied Error in Windows 10
We have provided several ways as the solution for this error. You can try each of the solution provided. Follow the step by step guide carefully.
Before you apply the solutions that we are going to discuss, you can try opening the particular file or folder as the administrator. Right click on it and select run as administrator from the menu. You should do this task in the first place.
Method 1 – Be the Administrator
The solution to fix folder access denied error in Windows 10 can only be done if you are an administrator. As the administrator, you will have the privileges and access to change the settings or manipulate files or folders. So, it could be that you have this error because you are not the administrator or have lost the administrator right. You can follow the step below to restore your account as the administrator.
1. Press Windows + X and choose ComputerManagement.
2. Go to Local Users and Groups > Groups.
3. Right click your account name > Properties.
4. Move to Member Of tab and click Add.
5. Type Administrator in the text field and then click Check Names.
6. You’re name will be added as the administrator. Press OK.
7. Click Administrators and select Apply and then press OK.
8. Restart PC.
After you have got your administrator privilege back, you should not experience the error again in the future.
Method 2 – Check the Permissions
Another reason why the folder access denied issue Windows 10 occurs is because you don’t have permissions to access the directory. In order to get the permissions back, you must do the following steps:
1. Right click the file or folder and select Properties.
2. Go to Security tab and click Edit button.
3. Click the Username you want to give permission to.
4. Check on Full Control in Allow column to grant permission.
5. Select OK.
Now you should be able to manipulate the data in your PC.
Method 3 – Repair Corrupt Files
There are possibilities that it is the files or folders that are corrupt. The corrupt files or folders cannot be access. Hence, the error appears in Windows 10. Hence, you must repair the corrupt files or folders in order to fix the access denied in Windows 10 permanently.
Method 4 – Get the Ownership Authority of the directory files or folders
Apply this method if you cannot get the privileges as the administrator. You probably have lost the administrator rights after performing some updates to Windows 10. To get rid of the issue, you must gain the authority over the ownership of the directory or files. Follow the steps below to get it back.
1. Right click the folder that cannot be accessed and select Properties.
2. Go to Security tab in Properties and click on the Advance button.
3. Switch to Owner section on top and select Change.
4. Choose Users, then Groups window will open.
5. Type the name of the user you wish to get the ownership back.
6. Select Check Names to display the person’s name in the text field.
7. Click OK and next, check Replace owner on sub containers and objects.
8. Tap Apply to save the changes and press OK.
You should have gained your authority of the ownership by now. The files or folder access denied problem should not appear again in the future.
Method 5 – Remove encryption
Another reason that could be the culprit of the folder access denied problem in Windows 10 is the encryption. If the folders or files are encrypted, it is clear that you cannot move, copy or delete them. Thus, you must check whether the files or folders are encrypted. Do following steps to check:
- Right click the files or folders and select Properties.
- Select Advanced in the General tab.
- If you see that the encrypted contents checkbox is checked, it means you have to import the certificates from the person who encrypted it.
Those all the five methods that we can offer to fix the folder access denied error in Windows 10. We hope that it helps you to solve the problem in Windows 10. Should you have faced the issue, please feel free to drop it in the comment section. We will figure out the new solution. Thanks for reading win10repair!