In the last post, we have talked about Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) as one of the terrifying errors that can happen in Windows. The screen turns blue and it causes the system to restart. It is somehow a common error in Windows and shows up in all version of Windows. Therefore, in this article, we are going to discuss one reason that causes BSoD and how to fix WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR in Windows 10.
What is WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR is the error that causes BSoD in Windows PC. This error shows up generally because there is a conflict with the drivers, overclocked CPU, hardware malfunctions or corrupted system files. When it happens, the screen will turn blue and an error message saying “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart” appears.
This error usually comes up with a code value of 0x0000124. This code means that you have a problem with hardware or your system found an uncorrectable hardware error. This issue can happen in Windows 10, 8, and 7.
Reasons of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR in Windows
This WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR in Windows 10/8.1/8 occurs due to several reasons. Below are the most common factors:
- Overclocking the CPU that causes over heat
- Hardware failure: broken HD, video card issue, processor problem, RAM malfunction
- Driver problems (commonly happens in Windows 8.1)
- Windows registry issue
- Corrupted system files
Those are the most common causes of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR in Windows. In fact, it is no doubt that there are other reasons why this error happens in your PC or computer.
How to Fix WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR in Windows 10
We have provided three best methods to fix WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR in Windows 10/8/7. You can follow the methods carefully to resolve this issue.
Method 1 – Disable Overclocking
If you have ever done overclocking on your PC and this error shows up, you can try to disable overclocking in BIOS in order to solve the error. Do as follows:
1. Firstly, click the Start menu >> Settings icon.
2. Select Update & security in the Settings window.
3. Then, press Recovery option in the left pane. Hit Restart now button under Advance startup category.
4. Navigate to Troubleshoot > Advanced option > UEFI Firmware Settings > Restart.
5. Go to BIOS and find the Advanced tab and disable the Overclocking option.
6. Save the changes and restart PC.
You will not see the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR in Windows again in the future.
Method 2 – Troubleshooting drivers
Troubleshooting drivers is one good method to fix WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR in Windows. But it has to be done in a Safe Mode. Follow the instructions below:
1. Firstly, you must boot into Safe Mode. Visit this page to know how to boot into Safe Mode.
2. In the Safe Mode, hit Windows + R key to open Run dialog box.
3. Write devmgmt.msc in it and press Enter.
4. In the Device Manager, click the arrow to expand the different devices and adapter categories.
5. If you see e a yellow and red warning sign, update the drivers by selecting Update driver software…
6. Restart PC.
This way you should have fixed the error.
Method 3 – Run CHKDSK and Windows Memory Diagnostic
Running Check Disk and Windows Memory Diagnostic can be a method to fix WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR in Windows 10/8/7. CHKDSK command can detect the problem in the disk. While Windows Memory Diagnostic can detect the problem in Memory. Follow the instructions below to perform it.
1. Boot into Safe Mode like you have done in method 2.
2. Write chkdsk in the Search bar. Select CHKDSK Run command from the result.
3. Wait for the command to run. If the process stops in the mid-way and shows any problem with the hardware, you should fix it. If nothing happens until it finishes, do Windows Memory Diagnostic.
4. Repeat the step 2 and type Windows Memory Diagnostic in the search bar. Press Windows Memory Diagnostic from the result.
5. The Windows Memory Diagnostic is running. Wait patiently. Repair the Memory if it shows a problem.
The problem should not appear anymore.
Read also: Fix Black Screen Error in Windows 10
You have read the three methods to fix WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR in Windows 10/8/7 that causes Blue Screen of Death (BSoD). If you still see the error after you do the three methods above, we suggest you to call the technician support. We hope it helps you. Thank you for reading win10repair.