Windows is Not Genuine Error Message – As you know that Windows is a popular Operating System (OS) that has been used by millions of people. However, it does mean that Windows is a perfect computer OS. Getting an error message in Windows 10 is very common. The errors and issues on Windows 10 can show up randomly without prior notification. In this article, we will discuss one of the issues that is likely to happen in Windows, how to fix This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine error message.
What is “This copy of Windows is not genuine” error?
This common issue may appear on any version of Windows 10, 8.1, 8 or 7. It usually shows up after the Windows starts. The message will be like the following:
Windows is not genuine
Your computer might not be running a counterfeit copy of Windows.
Why this issue appear?
The causes of “This Copy of Windows is not genuine” error message are the Windows version that you are using is unlicensed or patched. It also could be because your Windows is a pirated version. It will not appear in the beginning when you install Windows OS on your PC or laptop. Instead, “This Copy of Windows is not genuine” error message will show up after a few months of the installation.
There are several things that will happen when you encounter this “This Copy of Windows is not genuine” problem on Windows:
- Your desktop background will disappear and turn into blank screen.
- You will see “This Copy of Windows is not genuine” error message at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- The performance of your PC will decrease.
- The battery life will decrease drastically.
Some Windows users try to enter the CD Key to fix this issue or they use a software to patch the Windows activation. Unfortunately, they don’t work and the error message keeps showing. Read the solutions below to get rid this problem permanently.
How to Fix This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine Error Message
The methods that we are going to discuss are easy to follow. We suggest you to read the steps below thoroughly before proceeding them.
Always remember that the methods will not change a pirated version into a genuine version of Windows. You still need to purchase a from the Official Microsoft Store if you want to have a copy of genuine Windows.
Method 1 – Reset License
The first thing you can do is to reset the Windows license using Command Prompt. You need to be the administrator before proceeding this action. Follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + X simultaneously to trigger Power user menu. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Type SLMGR -REARM and press Enter in the Command Prompt window.
3. Once the command done running, restart your PC or laptop.
The “This Copy of Windows is not genuine” error should have gone by now. If it doesn’t, you can go to the next method.
Method 2 – Uninstall Update KB971033
Another method that you can use to solve “This Copy of Windows is not genuine” issue is by removing the Update KB971033.
1. Hit Windows + R key simultaneously to call Run dialog box.
2. Type control panel and press Enter. The Control Panel window will appear.
3. Go to Programs > Programs and features. Then, press View installed updates.
4. Find update KB971033 in the update list and uninstall it.
5. Restart PC.
The problem has been resolved by now.
Method 3 – Use gpupdate / force command
This is the last alternative method if the previous two methods don’t work. Follow the steps below:
1. Hit Windows + R key to access the Run dialog box.
2. Type rsop.msc and press Enter key.
3. Go to Windows settings > Security settings > System services.
4. Find Plug and Play. Right click on it.
5. Locate Startup and hit Automatic.
6. Open the Run dialog box once again.
7. Type gpupdate/force and press Enter key.
8. Restart PC.
We have given all methods that to fix “This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine” that is likely to appear on Windows. If by some reasons the error persists, you can perform System Restore or Clean install using a genuine copy of Windows. We hope it helps. Thank you for reading win10repair!