Mouse is one of the essential hardware used to operate Windows, especially for gamer. Even for laptops, many users prefer to use a mouse rather than the track-pad. It is no doubt that using a mouse is more convenience than using the track-pad. With a mouse, they can work faster than the track-pad. However, there is a time when the mouse starts to have lag, stutter or even freeze. Then, the cursor becomes unresponsive. If you experience this, it could be that your mouse is having an issue. You have nothing to worry about. In this post, we will discuss how to fix mouse lag error in Windows 10.
Reasons of Mouse Lag Error in Windows 10
The error that you have when the mouse is not responsive is called lagging, stuttering or freezing of mouse. This error is quite disturbing as you cannot control the cursor as you want since it will be very slow to move or stuck. There are some types of mouse lag error happens in Windows 10.
- Mouse lag Windows 10 during playing games: Slow cursor
- Stutter of mouse Windows 10: Frequent unresponsiveness for a small amount of time
- Freeze of mouse: Frequent insensitive for a large amount of time
- Windows 10 wireless mouse lag: Problem in Wireless Mouse
- Mouse not moving: Permanent immobility or paralysis
This mouse lag error is a pretty serious issue in Windows that can reduce the performance. There are several reasons that could cause this issue to happen in your mouse. The reasons are divided into two main factors, software and hardware. Let’s check them out.
The biggest cause of lag in your mouse is the software. It’s about 70% chance of the mouse lag error happened because of the corrupt software. Check the list of participated software:
- Mouse cursor is at the lowest speed
- Drivers of mouse should be updated
- Graphic card drivers should be updated
- Battery optimization
- Power Management problems
- Trackpad and mouse settings
- Third party software problems
In the other hand, the 30% chance of mouse lag is because of the hardware malfunction. Below are the common cases:
- USB connection
- Bad mousepad
- Wireless connection problem
- Mouse internal hardware issue
- Low battery for wireless mouse
After knowing the reasons that cause mouse lag error in Windows 10, you can do the basic things to solve the problem. You can start to check the connection hardware, such as the cable and USB port. Then, you can check the power if the mouse is using wireless connection. Change the mousepad to know if the problem has resolved. If the mouse lag error still appears on Windows 10 after you do the basic troubleshooting, you can do the following methods.
How to Fix Mouse Lag Error in Windows 10
There are several methods to fix mouse lag error in Windows 10. Make sure that the mouse is absolutely fine.
Method 1 – Update Mouse and Graphic Drivers
Having outdated drivers can be the reason why you experience mouse lag error in Windows 10. Therefore we try to update the mouse and graphic drivers to solve the error.
1. Firstly, hit Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager from the list.
2. Find Mice and other pointing devices and click to expand names of the mouse connected.
3. Now, right click your mouse name and choose Update Drivers.
4. Select Search automatically for Updated driver software.
5. Windows system will search the drivers automatically. Select the latest drivers (if any) and update them.
For the Graphic drivers, you can do similar steps above and select updating graphics drivers in the Display Adapter condensation in the Device Management window.
Note: If you have the latest drivers for mouse and graphic card, alternatively, you can choose rollback option under the update driver button. This method will rollback your driver to the previous stable ones.
Method 2 – Toggle Scroll Inactive Windows Feature
This is a simple way yet reported to be one of the solutions to fix mouse lag error in Windows 10.
1. Type Mouse Settings in the search bar and click on it.
2. Then, locate the Scroll Inactive Windows option and toggle it.
3. Toggling it for a couple of times and check if the problem resolves.
Method 3 – Change the cursor speed
The cursor lagging that you have is probably because the speed is in a low mode. So, check the mouse speed to resolve this issue.
1. Firstly, write Mouse Settings in the search bar and click on it.
2. Go to the Additional Mouse Settings option and press on it.
3. Now, select Pointer Options tab and give a tick on the Enhance precision.
4. Then, adjust the mouse speed in the motion section.
5. Finally, press Apply to save changes and click on OK.
The mouse speed should increase now.
That’s all the methods you can do to fix mouse lag error in Windows 10. Once again, if you have tried the methods above, but the mouse still lags, stutters, or freezes, you can check the software installation. Also, check the connectivity such as the port, cable or the battery if you are using the wireless mouse. Make sure that no internal damage happens to the mouse. Last thing that you can try is to use a new mouse. Once you have followed the methods on this page, the mouse error must have resolved by now. Thank you for reading win10repair.