Virus and malware attack is the worst nightmare that can happen to Windows Operating System. To prevent and stay protected, it is recommended that we have a trusted antivirus program installed on Windows computer. Avast antivirus can be one of the best antivirus programs that you can have for your Windows PC. It will protect you from the attack of virus and malware. However, sometimes Avast faces an error like Avast Background Service stops running. Therefore, in this article, we are going to discuss how to fix Avast Background Service not running error in Windows 10/8/7.
Issue: Avast Background Service not Running
Avast antivirus is an important program to protect the Windows system from virus and malware. It is a free app but has a lot of advanced features. However, we’ve got a report that Avast background stop working. This error shows up with a message saying:
You are unprotected – Avast background service is not running
There are two options come along with the error message above ‘Start now’ and ‘Resolve all’ buttons. Unfortunately, nothing good will happen when you click either of the buttons. It doesn’t solve the error in Avast. This is a stressful experience to have an error with your antivirus app because your computer would be vulnerable. Therefore, you must resolve the problem as soon as possible. Follow the methods below to fix the Avast background service not running issue in Windows.
How to Fix Avast Background Service not running issue in 4 Methods
There are 4 methods available to fix the frustrating “You are unprotected- Avast Background Service not running” error. You don’t need any software mastery in order to use the methods. Just follow the steps that I have mentioned below each method. The step-wise guide will take you through in no time at all.
In this section, we are going to discuss the best five methods to fix Avast Background Service not running issue in Windows. After you do the methods, we really hope you won’t see the error message “You are unprotected- Avast Background Service not running” anymore. Just follow the steps in below carefully.
Method 1 – Update Avast
The very first method you can do to fix Avast Background Service not running issue is by updating the Avast itself. Follow these steps to do so:
1. Launch File Explorer and navigate to C:Program FilesAVAST SoftwareAvast.
2. Find AvastEmUpdate.exe and run the file in order to update Avast.
3. Reboot your PC.
1. Open Settings app and go to Apps > Apps & Features.
2. Locate Avast Free Antivirus on the right pane and press on it.
3. Press the Modify button. Select Yes on the dialog box in order to continue.
4. When Avast application window appears, click the Update button.
5. Restart PC.
This will fixed the Avast problem. If the error persists, then move to the next method.
Method 2 – Re-install Avast
The next method that you can try is uninstall and install the latest version of Avast. This is one of the best ways to fix the issue on Avast.
1. Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & Features. On the right pane, locate Avast Free Antivirus and right click on it. Press Uninstall.
2. Download the latest version of Avast from the official website.
3. Install Avast Free Antivirus.
This will get rid of the Avast Background Service not running issue.
Method 3 – Set Startup to Automatic
Changing the Avast startup to automatic can be a solution to fix the error. Do as follows:
1. Click the Start menu and type services.msc in the Search bar. Select Services from the list of result.
2. Find the service of Avast Antivirus in the Services screen. Double click on it to open the Avast Antivirus Properties window.
3. Switch to Startup type section and set it to Automatic.
4. Restart your PC.
Check if the issue persists.
Method 4 – Disable Avast Shields Control
In some cases, disabling the Avast shields control can solve the issue on Avast. Follow the steps below:
1. Right click on the Avast icon in the system.
2. Choose Avast Shields Control in the context menu and choose Disable until Computer is restarted.
3. Reboot your computer.
Now, you can check if you still have the same error.
As one of the best antivirus apps, Avast has been a favorite to many Windows users. But even the best has a problem. If you are experiencing an issue in Avast, like background service not running, you can follow the methods above. Those were the best four methods to fix Avast background service not running error. We hope it can help you to resolve the problem in Avast. If you still have the same problem, may be you should find alternative to Avast, like Kaspersky, 360 Total Security, Norton, etc. Thank you for reading win10repair.