Windows regularly releases updates for its Operating System. The updates are used to patch the bugs that may exist in the previous version. It also brings improvements that can enhance the performance of Windows OS. As a Windows user, we can set Windows to download the updates automatically once you have internet connections. By then, it will ask you to install when the download progress has completed. However, some Windows users experiences 0x80070020 Update error when they are installing the Windows Updates. For that reasons, in this post, we are going to discuss how to fix Windows Update 0x80070020 error in Windows.
Reasons of Code 0x80070020 Update Error in Windows
In this section, we are going to discuss the most common factors that cause the Windows Update 0x80070020 Update error. There are several reasons why you experience this issue during installing updates in your computer. Let’s take a look those factors:
- Antivirus false alarm or conflict during the update process
- Corrupted Registry Entry
- Not enough space to install the update
- Hardware failure
After knowing the reasons above, we will start to discuss the methods to fix 0x80070020 Update error in Windows.
How to fix Windows Update 0x80070020 Error in Windows
There are several ways that we will try to fix 0x80070020 error in Windows. The methods in this section will resolve the Windows update error. No special skills or requirements needed. Just follow the instructions below carefully.
Method 1 – Use Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is the best option you have when you encounter problem with the Windows update. This tool is quite handy to resolve this kind of issue in Windows. Follow the instructions below:
1. Hit Windows key and write Troubleshooting in the Search box and press Enter.
2. Download it on this page if you don’t have any.
3. Select the Windows Update option from the list and hit Run the Troubleshooter.
4. Wait for Windows to detect the problems automatically.
Now, check if you still have 0x80070020 Update Error. Go to another method if the error persists.
Method 2 – Disable Antivirus and Firewall
The most common reason of this 0x80070020 Update issue in Windows is because of the antivirus app has a conflict with the update. It could be that the Antivirus or firewall in your computer falsely detect the update. Therefore, you have the 0x80070020 Update error in your Windows PC.
In order to resolve this issue in Windows, you can disable your antivirus and firewall. Then, download the Windows update once again and install it. After that, enable your Antivirus app and firewall. Remember to upgrade your Antivirus to the latest version so that it won’t cause similar problem in the future.
Read also: Windows Update Not Working Error [SOLVED]
If you still have 0x80070020 Update problem after performing the method above, you can uninstall your current Antivirus app and install another one. There are great antivirus that are reliable, such as Avast, AVG, McAfee, Bit Defender, etc.
Method 3 – Restart Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
BITS is the one that responsible for updating your Windows PC automatically. This service runs in the background, so you won’t see the updating process. When you have 0x80070020 Update error in your computer, we think that there is something wrong with BITS feature. Therefore, we will try to restart BITS. Follow the steps below:
1. Hit Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys simultaneously to open the Task Manager.
2. Go to Services tab and search for BITS or Background Intelligent Transfer Services from the list.
3. Finally, right click BITS and press Restart.
The BITS has been restarted and it will work like a charm again.
Method 4 – Run CHKDSK
Hardware failure might be another reason why you have 0x80070020 Update error in Windows PC. To make sure that your hardware works well, you can check your disk using Command Prompt. So that when you have found something wrong with the disk, the system can also fix it for you. Follow the instructions given below:
1. Hit Windows + X keys simultaneously and select Command Prompt (Admin)/Windows Power Shell (Admin).
2. In the Command Prompt windows, type “chkdsk /r C:” and hit Enter. You can change the letter C with other letter of your drive.
3. Wait for the command to complete. Then, restart your PC.
This will resolve the 0x80070020 Update error in Windows 10, 8, and 7.
Method 5 – Reset Windows Updates Components
This is the last method that you can try to fix 0x80070020 Update error in Windows. Resetting the Windows Updates Components will fix the corrupted components related to Windows Updates. Follow the instructions below to resolve 0x80070020 Update issue:
1. Firstly, press Windows + X keys together and select Command Prompt (Admin)/Windows Power Shell (Admin).
2. Then, copy and paste the following commands to end some tasks, such as the Windows Update Services, MSI Installer, Cryptographic and the BITS. Press Enter after each one.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
3. Next, copy and paste the following commands in Command Prompt to rename the Catroot2 and Windows Update Services folder. Hit Enter key after each command.
ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
4. After that, do step-2 once again, but this time, the following commands are to start BITS, Cryptographic, Windows Update Services and MSI installer. Press Enter after each command.
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
5. Finally, type Exit to quit from Command Prompt and restart your PC.
That’s it. You can now reinstall 0x80070020 Update in Windows. The error should have gone by now.
Those were the best five methods to fix Windows update 0x80070020 error in Windows. We understand how annoying it is to have such error when you want to update your Windows in order to have better performance. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to drop them in the Comment section. We hope it helps a lot. Thank you for reading win10repair.