If you are working with the recording tool, Microphone jack is very important for you. Losing the function of this part could be a disaster for you. However, recently we get a report that they get a microphone not working error in Windows 10 after installing Windows updates. The update of Windows somehow prevents microphone from working normally. Therefore, in this post, we are going to discuss the solutions to fix microphone not working error in Windows 10.
What cause microphone not working error in Windows 10
Different brands of laptops can lead to different cause of error. But in here we will discuss the common issue that can affect the microphone. Here are some of the major causes:
- Corrupted, outdated, broken or incorrectly configured device drivers.
- Incorrectly set microphone settings.
- Hardware malfunction.
- Virus or malware.
Now you know the four major factors that cause microphone not working error in Windows 10. If you experience this microphone issue on Windows 10, there are three methods you can try to fix microphone not working issue in your PC.
How to Fix Microphone Not Working Error in Windows 10
Do the following methods carefully.
Method 1 – Update Drivers
When you install the Windows update on your PC, there might be a chance that it got a conflict with the audio or microphone driver. Thus, it causes microphone not working error in Windows. Updating drivers can be the simplest way to fix this error. Do as follows:
1. Type Device Manager in the Search bar to open Device Manager app.
2. Expand Sound, video and game controllers category.
3. Right click IDT High Definiition Audio CODEC and select Update Driver Software… .
4. Press Browse my computer for driver software.
5. Tap Let me pickup a list of device drivers on my computer.
6. Choose High Definition Audio Device (Not IDT High Definition Audion CODEC).
7. Press Next and then, Yes.
Be patient while the PC is installing the drivers. You can plug in the microphone to try if the error has vanished after the installation finishes.
Method 2 – Set Microphone as Default
If you have ever changed the default setting of microphone, then you should try the following steps:
1. Right click the Speaker icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.
2. In the pop-up menu, select Recording devices.
3. In the Sound window, go to Recording tab.
4. Click Set Default button if the microphone is not set as default.
5. Press OK and then, Apply.
The method above should have resolve microphone not working issue in Windows 10 by now. Try the next method if you still see the microphone error in Windows 10.
Method 3 – Check the Settings
If the reason of microphone not working error is the incorrect settings out of it, then you should try the method below:
1. Right click the Speaker icon at the bottom right of the screen.
2. Select Recording devices in the context menu to open the Sound window.
3. Press Properties button.
4. Go to Levels tab and set Microphone and Microphone Boost to the highest level.
5. Then, switch to Enhancements tab and uncheck Disable all sound effects.
6. Switch to Advanced tab and uncheck the Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device box.
7. Afterwards, click OK and Apply.
8. Return to Sound dialog box and go to Communication tab.
9. Choose Do Nothing. Next, click OK and Apply.
10. Restart PC.
It should fix microphone not working error in Windows 10 by now.
After you have performed all three methods above and the error still persists, you need to try the Windows Troubleshooting. Navigate to: Control Panel > Troubleshoot > Hardware and Sound > Troubleshoot audio recording > Next. Hope it helps.
Contact the manufacturer or Service Center if it is the hardware problem.
We hope the three methods above helps you to fix microphone not working error in Windows 10. Thank you for reading win10repair!