This copy of Windows is not genuine issue happens to most of Windows users. This error prevents you from changing the wallpaper as your home screen will turn black. Then, you will see that message on the right bottom corner. This message will show up for a long period of time.
However, we have several methods that you can do to fix “This copy of Windows is not genuine“ issue on your Windows PC. They are easy to follow. Check them out below.
Solutions for “This Copy of Windows Is Not Genuine” Issue
Solution 1: Uninstall KB971033 Update
If your Automatic Update feature is enabled, it could be that your computer just installed the KB971033 update without your concern. This update brings out the Windows Activation Technologies that can detect your Windows operating system.
Once it is installed, it will scan your system and if it finds out that your Windows is not genuine, your screen will turn black. Then, an error message “Windows 7 build 7601 this copy of Windows is not genuine” will appear on your screen.
Thus, uninstalling KB971033 update is the best way to fix it. Here are the steps you should follow:
- Press on Start menu and go to Control Panel.
- Select the System and Security section.
- Find the Windows Update part, and hit View installed updates option. Or press on View update history and press the Installed Updates link at the top.
- Locate the update of KB971033 and right-click on it to press the Uninstall button.
Restart your PC and see if the error persists.
Solution 2: Insert SLMGR -REARM Command
It the error message keeps appearing on your screen, you can try to insert SLMGR -REARM command in the Command Prompt to get rid of the “This copy of Windows is not genuine“ issue. SLMGR means Windows Server License Manager Script. While REARM allows you to reset the licensing status of Windows OS.
Follow the instructions below to do so:
- Press the Start menu and typr for Command Prompt in the Search box.
- Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator.
- Insert SLMGR -REARM command in Command Prompt, and press Enter.
- The command is successful when you see a pop-out window that asks you to restart the system. Hit OK.
This way will extent the activation of Windows for 30 more days. Then you need to redo it every time the issue re-appear.
Solution 3: Use RSOP (Resultant Set of Policy Window)
The third method that you can do to solve “this copy of Windows is not genuine” issue is using RSOP.
Here are the steps:
- Press Win + R together to trigger the Run window.
- Insert rsop.msc in the box and hit the Enter button.
- Navigate to Windows Settings (located in Computer Configuration section) > Security Settings > System Services.
- In the following screen, double-click on Plug and Play from the options, then find Startup and click on Automatic.
- Open the Run window again, type gpupdate /force and click Enter.
- Reboot PC
If you are using a pirated version of Windows, we suggest you to purchase the Windows activation key. This will fix “this copy of Windows is not genuine” issue permanently. You can also turn off the automatic update to avoid such problem happens in the future again.
For queries and suggestions, feel free to contact us. Thank you for reading, Folks!