When encountering an error in Windows, resetting the PC would be one of the suggested ideas in order to fix the error. Reset Windows works like a magic to solve some errors in Windows. However, what if you have got a problem when resetting your Windows PC? Recently we got a report that some Windows users face a problem when they are trying to reset their PC. Hence, in this post, we will discuss how to solve “There was a problem resetting your PC” error in Windows 10/8.
What cause “There was a problem resetting your PC” error in Windows 10/8
It is annoying to face an error when you try to attempt for Refresh or Restart the Windows 10/8. The error message will be “There was a problem refreshing your PC. No changes were made.”
Similar error message “There was a problem resetting your PC” will also appear when you are going to use the Reset feature. This is a bug that exists in Windows 10 and 8.
There are some conditions when this error shows up on Windows:
- You have Windows 10 pre-installed and was not an upgrade from the previous version of Windows.
- The PC manufacturer enabled compression to reduce the disk space.
- A USB recovery drive is made using the “Create a recovery drive” feature in Windows 10.
- Your PC booted to the USB recovery drive and navigate to Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything.
Now, we are going to discuss the reasons for “There was a problem resetting your PC” error in Windows 10/8. This error doesn’t come with prior notification. But if your PC is in one of the conditions above, you will likely to have this error in the future. The main reason why it happens is either a missing or unsupported version of the recovery image. Malware, virus or compatibility issues could be the cause of it.
Read also: Fix Black Screen Error in Windows 10
If you have “There was a problem resetting your PC” error in Windows 10/8, you need to follow the instructions below to fix it.
How to Solve “There was a problem resetting your PC” Error in Windows
We have three methods that you can try in order to solve there was a problem ressetting your PC error. In this post, we are going to discuss them one by one. Let’s jump to the solutions.
Method 1 – Use Command Prompt
We will try to use the Command Prompt in order to fix the reset error in PC. Follow the steps below:
1. Press Start menu > Power button. Hold Shift and hit Restart.
2. Navigate to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
3. Now, choose the administrator account and type the password (if any). Press Continue button.
4. Write the following command in the Command Prompt windows that appears afterward.
ren system system.001
ren software software.001
5. Then, close the command prompt windows. In the boot options page, hit Continue to boot into Windows 10.
6. Reset PC now.
You should be able to reset your PC by now. If the error still appears, you can do the second method.
Method 2 – Use Recovery USB
Since the command prompt fails to fix the error, you can try Recovery USB to solve the error. Do as follows:
1. Firstly, plug in an empty USB flash drive (16GB or 32GB) into PC.
2. Click Start menu and write recovery drive in the search bar. Press Create a recovery drive from the result.
3. Press Yes on the User Account Control window.
4. All the current files and apps will be removed when you recover PC from drive. So, back up your data by ticking the Back up system files in the recovery drive. Then, click Next.
5. Choose the USB drive and click Next.
6. Now, press Create to make a recovery drive. Click Finish when the process is complete.
7. Next, reboot Windows 10. Press F8 or F12 to enter to the boot options page.
8. Select boot from USB recovery drive.
9. At last, click Recovery from a drive and follow the instructions on the screen.
The error should have gone after you perform the method above.
Method 3 – Clean Install Windows
This is the ultimate way to fix there was a problem resetting your PC error in Windows 10 / 8. We will ask you to perform a clean install on Windows. Do back up your files before doing the following method.
1. Insert Windows installation media device. Start PC or computer.
2. Hit the key to boot from the installation media (USB or DVD) and format the drive.
3. Follow the instruction on the screen to Install the Windows.
We believe the reset PC error in Windows does no longer appear in your PC Windows 10 or 8.
That’s all the three methods to solve “There was a problem resetting your PC” error in Windows 10/8. We hope that the error has gone permanently. If you have any questions or other methods to fix this error, please write them in the Comment section below. Thank you for reading win10repair.