It is annoying to have a file transfer freezes problem on Windows 10. The worst thing of this issue is that you can lose the data. So, how to fix it? We have several methods you can try when you encounter this problem on your computer.
File transfer freezes issue on Windows 10 happens in several cases:
- Case 1: From One Drive to Another Drive on Your PC
- Case 2: From PC to External Hard Drive
- Case 3: From External Hard Drive to PC
- Case 4: From USB Disk to PC
How to Fix Windows 10 File Transfer Freezes
Method 1: Stop the Transferring Process and Try Again
- Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del together to open the Task Manager program.
- Go to the transferring process and press End Task button to stop this transferring process.
- After the transferring process stops, try to transfer data once again.
Method 2: Stop the Running Programs and Services which Causes the Issue
When transferring files, the computer takes a lot of resources to run it and it can cause high CPU or disk usage that can lead to Windows 10 file transfer problem. To get rid of this issue, you can stop the running program from the Task Manager. Follow the instructions below to do so:
- Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del together.
- Find the service that takes a high CPU usage and right click on it. Press End Task to stop.
Method 3: Format the Destination Drive to NTFS
If you have followed the two methods above and the file transfer problem in Windows 10 persists, you need to check on the destination drive format. Make sure that the drive has an NTFS format. To format the drive to be NTFS, you can do the following instructions:
- Open the Windows Explorer.
- Select the target drive and do a right click on it. Press Format option from the context menu.
- By default, NTFS file system is checked. Uncheck the Quick Format option from the window and hit the Start button.
How to Speed Up File Transferring Task
Do you know that there is a way to speed up the file transferring task in Windows 10? It can be done with turning off the Thumbnail. Check on the steps below:
- Run File Explorer and press on View option from the bar.
- Choose Options and Change folder and search options will appear. Hit on it to continue.
- Press View tab to find Always show icons, never thumbnail option. Check this option and click on OK button to turn off thumbnail.
Those were the steps to fix file transfer freeze issue on Windows 10. The thing you need to remember when transferring files is the copying feature is safer than cut and paste feature. When you do cut and paste files and your computer freezes while transferring is running, you can end up losing the files. Thus, it is safe to copy and paste the data to the targeted drive.
For queries and suggestions, don’t hesitate to contact us. Please share this article if you find it useful. Thank you for reading, Pals!